Monday, January 14, 2008

"Men are taught to apologize for their weaknesses, women their strengths."-Lois Wyse





It's been some time since I last posted anything. Truth be told, I'm still trying to come up with a way to respond to the events of last week's primary in New Hampshire. Before I continue, I want to make one thing apparently clear: I'm no apologist for Hillary Clinton, nor am I necessarily planning on voting for her- but damn it! I want to know when America will progress far enough, that a woman can run for office and NOT be expected to act like a man. And why is it that Mitt Romney can cry on cable tv and it's barely a blip on the radar screen...those who did see it spent very little time anaylzing it. But if a woman candidate cries, she's either too soft, or faking it for the cameras! I want to know why Hillary's 3% win was 'eked out', but McCain's 5% win signified a 'sweep'. I remember feeling this way another time--when Harriet Myers was nominated for the Supreme Court. We criticized her relationship with the President, criticized her inability to think for herself...hell, we even criticized her wardrobe, her hairstyle...no stone was left unturned. And while it's true that she likely wasn't the most qualified candidate in the pool, it's not like the lady didn't have a law degree...in fact, her past clients included the likes of Microsoft and Disney. But we discounted her nomination on the basis of appearance...and if you want my opinion...her gender. What does a woman have to do in order to play the political game? Does she divorce herself of her gender altogether, or does she revel in her womanhood? Does she wear the heels or the pumps? The skirt or the slacks? I mean really, people...doesn't experience, character and record carry just as much weight for female candidates as it does for males? Why is an assertive, bull-headed male politician a go-getter and a strong leader, but a female politician with the same characteristics just a 'cold hearted bitch?' And so, to Hillary...and all the other women out there who want to lead...to my daughters and yours...I leave you with a quote from one of my favorite feminist artists, Virginia Fitzgerald. "Stop thinking and just follow your muse!" Sooner or later the rest of America will either catch on, or lose out!

No comments: